[Ifeffit] Installation of FEFF8 on IFEFFIT

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Mon Aug 10 17:25:59 CDT 2009

> I have a question of the FEFF8 installation in IFEFFIT on a window XP.
> I know that the IFEFFIT includes FEFF6, and I have the licence of FEFF8.
> I have used IFEFFIT with FEFF6 on the window and FEFF8 in a LINUX system.
> Now I want to use the FEFF6 on the windos XP.
> After I unzipped the ifeffit package, I find binary files, including
> feff6l.exe, in the bin directory. May I copy the FEFF8.exp file into the
> directory and rename FEFF8.exe to feff6l.exe? Or is there any other way to
> select different versions of FEFF from Atermis?

Han,

I am CCing my answer to the Ifeffit mailing list, as this is an
appropriate question for the list.

Artemis is quite happy using Feff8 for EXAFS analysis, although the
advantage of Feff8 for EXAFS analysis over Feff6 is rather marginal.
You will need to configure Artemis to use Feff8 correctly.  In the
Edit menu, select Edit preferences.  Change the Atoms->feff_version
parameter to 8.  Then change the Feff->feff_executable parameter to
the fully qualified location of the Feff8 executable.  That is, you
must type in something like "C:\Software\Feff8\feff8.exe".

To the best of my knowledge, that will work correctly.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov