[Ifeffit] Kapton in glove box

Richard Mayes rtmayes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 19:13:00 CDT 2009

Todd,

Are you working with oxygen sensitive or moisture sensitive samples (or
both)?  If it's just moisture sensitive, then you can use regular 2-sided
tape from your local office supply and polypropylene film to seal samples in
polycarbonate or aluminum holders (or even pellets if you're lucky enough to
be able to press pellets that hold their shape).  Chemplex Industries is
where I have gotten the polypropylene films I have used (and Kapton as well
- www.findtape.com also has a good selection of Kapton tape).

I used this method with many samples that involved heavily chlorided
titanium on silica and had few problems if they're used within 5-7 days
after packing in a glove box (the samples with problems resulted from
improperly sealed samples).  You can get jars (baby food jars work very well
to ship individual samples) to store the samples for shipping and if you
pack the jars in the glove box, you will have the box atmosphere in the
jars, for a little while anyway.

A note on oxygen sensitivity (and to an extent moisture sensitivity):  you
probably already know this, but I'll say it anyway...if cardboard is present
in the role of Kapton tape, you may have oxygen/water diffusion from the
cardboard for a few days after you take it into the box.  Our rule of thumb
was to pull vacuum on anything involving cardboard for at least 48 hrs
before taking it into the box.  All that to say, take your supplies into the
box a few days ahead of time to allow your box catalyst to take care of any
residual oxygen/water that make their way in.

HTH,
-Richard