[Ifeffit] Can't locate Ifeffit.pm

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 21 12:01:24 CDT 2009

Hi Silvio,

I recently went through some similar difficulties getting the latest
horae to install on linux (ubuntu 8.10 and fedora 10).  The only way I
could get it to work (and I was very reluctant to do come this
conclusion, so tried many variations and pestered Bruce quite a bit)
was to use the svn tree for horae.   Bruce's installation instructions
on the ifeffit pages are helpful, though they seemed more concerned
with installing into a non-root-owned-folder.

Sorry, I don't have specific instructions, but:
  a)  It should be "perl Build.PL ; perl build" now (that may need
spell checking --
       I'm away from a linux box at the moment).  Bruce replaced the
build system.
  b)  definitely do a "perl -MCPAN -e shell" and update the perl CPAN stuff.
       This is irritating, but apparently necessary.  It might even be
necessary for the
       error messages from "perl Build.PL" to make sense.  While you're at it,
       install Tk.
  c)  definitely do not bother with the recent tarball packages for
horae -- they are
       broken (or incomplete at least).  Checkout the svn tree and build there.
  d)  don't give up.  I'm here to tell you, it can be done!

Another alternative is to install from the debian packages prepared by
Carlo -- the ubuntu package manager ought to be able to find this, and
I think it is pretty close to up to date.

Cheers,

--Matt