[Ifeffit] Fitting procedure

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Sat Apr 18 13:16:00 CDT 2009

Hi all,

Well, I'm understanding my own views on this more clearly as the
conversation continues, so it's been helpful to me!

There are several different issues that have floated through this
thread, but let me focus on one aspect.

One possible fitting strategy is a shell-by-shell method, in which
each shell is fit more or less independently. In this method, the R-
range is chosen to try to correspond to a single shell. Because the
first shell is often dominant in the spectrum and can "leak" quite
significantly into other shells, it is reasonable to fit the first
shell, and then use those parameters to constrain the leakage from the
first shell while fitting the second shell. I've rarely used that
strategy personally, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me, and
there are cases where it seems like a very good way to go. There are
no problems with free parameters with this method. For instance, if
the first shell is fit over the R-range 1.0 to 1.5 angstroms, and the
second from 1.5 to 2.0, each with its own parameters, then you're not
"cheating" to use the results of the first fit to fix the parameters
for the first shell in the second fit, as those parameters came from
data you're not currently using. The usual idea that constraints come
from prior knowledge is satisfied.

On the other hand, I have sometimes seen students in workshops fit the
first shell, then extend the R-range so that it includes both shells,
fix the first shell parameters to the results from the prior fit, and
then do a fit to determine the parameters of the second shell. This is
the approach I find troubling. It seems to double count data. To be
specific, the first shell fit might be from 1.0 to 1.5 angstroms, and
the results would then be used to constrain the first shell in the
next fit, which would vary second shell parameters but extend from 1.0
to 2.0. The data from 1.0 to 1.5 has thus been used twice in a manner
that would cause me some concern.

I am unclear as to which procedure Abhijeet is describing. I initially
assumed the second, and Matt initially assumed the first; that was
responsible for some of the confusion.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College