[Ifeffit] High SO2

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Apr 10 10:41:30 CDT 2009

Jeremy,

I'm curious to understand this approach better. Just to confirm, as I
understand it you do something like this:

1) Fit the first shell
2) Set the first-shell parameters to their best-fit values, expand the
R-range and paths to include the second shell, and guess parameters
related to the second shell (possibly using constraints to take
advantage of discoveries from the first shell fit).
3) Once things look OK, go back to guessing some of the parameters so
that correlations can be explored.

What's the advantage to fixing the first-shell parameters in step 2?
Is it to avoid nonsensical fits as the parameter space increases? If
so, why not use restraints (particularly, say, penalty-type
restraints) to make sure the first-shell parameters remain reasonable
without actually forcing them to the values from the first shell fit
or doing confusing things to the degrees of freedom?

I suspect there's some very practical reason why people use this
stepwise approach, but I'm not yet seeing it...

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College