[Ifeffit] huge S02 value ??

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Sun Apr 5 11:44:13 CDT 2009

Hi Mengqiang,

I have done fits of aqueous solution of NiSO4 before and obtained S02 of 0.8 for the octahedrally coordinated Ni-O shell. You did not send the mu(E) data, just chi(k), so I was not able to compare my and your raw data fully, just in k-space. Here is what I found: my data is in perfect agreement in k-space with yours, only if I move E0 down to the pre-edge region, and I suspect, therefore, it is where you chose your E0.

As a result, the entire, very intense, main absorption peak became a part of your EXAFS, increasing the intensity of the k-space signal (since it became the first half-cycle of the EXAFS oscillation), and thus you got such a large S02. If you move your E0 to half-the edge jump, your result will be the same as mine, 0.8

Let me know if it helped,
Anatoly