[Ifeffit] Independence of scattering paths? (van der Veen Renske)

Frommer Jakob jakob.frommer at env.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 30 00:24:45 CDT 2008

Hi Renske,

I am not sure whether I fully understand your question but here is my *two-cent-explanation*: FEFF's first step is to calculate the potentials - since it is a real space code based on the muffin-tin approximation the surrounding of an atom determines the actual scattering potential (even if you are not doing a self-consistent calculation). Since the potentials in turn determine the backscattering amplitudes and phase shifts, placing an additional atom randomly in a structure is certainly not a good idea. A possible work-around may be to find a *similar* (but known) structure with oxygen ligands and combine these two calculations in artemis (for multiple scattering however the geometry can matter a lot). If your solvent contains oxygen already you may (at least as a first approximation and for single scattering) just duplicate that path in artemis.

Regards

Jakob

Jakob Frommer
Soil Chemistry Group
Institute of Biogeochemistry and Pollutant Dynamics,
ETH Zürich
Universitätstrasse 16,
CHN F19
CH - 8092 Zürich