[Ifeffit] Normalization of XANES spectra

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Wed Oct 29 14:19:19 CDT 2008

Hi Jens,

Well, it's not the spectrum that one x-ray photon would produce,
because one x-ray photon is either absorbed or its not; it doesn't
produce a spectrum.

I think I understand your question now, though, and can answer it with
a clear example.

Suppose sample A is:

1% iron metal by mass
2.5% hematite (Fe2O3) by mass
the rest is not iron compounds at all

Sample B is:

2% iron metal be mass
5% hematite by mass
the rest is not iron compounds

Sample C is:

1.5% iron metal by mass
2.5% hematite (Fe2O3) by mass
the rest is not iron compounds

The normalized spectra of samples A and B will be identical if there
are no other differences between them.

The normalized spectrum of C will be different from the other two,
because the ratio of hematite to iron metal is different.

The ratio of hematite to iron can be determined from the normalized
XANES of each sample.

Hopefully that helps.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College