[Ifeffit] Fit XANES spectra using Athena

Jenny Cai jennyh_cai at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 28 10:42:41 CDT 2008

Thank you all! -Jenny

--- On Sun, 10/26/08, Scott Calvin <SCalvin at slc.edu> wrote:
From: Scott Calvin <SCalvin at slc.edu>
Subject: Re: [Ifeffit] Fit XANES spectra using Athena
To: "XAFS Analysis using Ifeffit" <ifeffit at millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov>

I haven't been following this discussion closely, but actually it is
possible to use PCA to help with a single spectrum of a single sample.
The "trick" is to use linear combinations of the spectra of the
standards to create spectra which look like mixtures with various
amounts of different phases in them. Try to include all the phases
that you think might be in the sample, except one. Then run the sample
and the mixtures of standards together through PCA. Finally try a
target transform to the "missing" phase. If it's in the sample,
it
should work pretty well. As a control, you have to also try PCA with
the mixtures of standards but with the sample left out, and try the
same target transform--it should work poorly.

I've used similar tricks before to confirm the presence of certain
substances in a sample...it can be a very useful technique when you
can't pin down one of the substances in the sample, but suspect what
some of the other contributors are.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College

<ifeffit-bounces at millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov