[Ifeffit] Fit XANES spectra using Athena

Adam Webb adam.webb at desy.de
Fri Oct 24 00:39:55 CDT 2008

Hi Jenny,

I don't know what exactly you are trying to do so I can't say which
method is better but I can make a comment.

It all comes down to the number of independent variables. The Gaussian
and step functions are independent of each other. The heights, widths
and positions can all be adjusted. In the linear combination you change
everything together so for example, the ratio of the peak height and the
step height doesn't change. The result is that you need more spectra to
get the same number of degrees of freedom as in the least-squares peak fit.

Cheers,
Adam