[Ifeffit] Horae 067 missing Ifeffit.pm (with solution)

Gareth Jones gareth.k.jones at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 09:54:56 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

This is a follow-up for a problem I encountered at the XAS08 PSI
workshop, solved by Bruce, but it should probably be archived here in
case anyone else discovers it.

The Problem:

Installation of Ifeffit and Horae following the build-from-source
instructions [http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/downloads.html]
appears to work, but Horae programs fail to start due to a missing
"Ifeffit.pm" in "$prefix/lib/perl/...".  You may at this point have
copied Ifeffit.pm from the Ifeffit build tree, which at first seems to
fix the problem.

However, certain operations that require data to be copied between
Perl/Horae and Ifeffit fail - in my case copying a group in Athena
yields an apparently empty (or corrupt) group.  This is reproducible
for affected groups, but not all groups are affected.  De-glitching is
another test.

The Solution:

The Ifeffit Perl wrapper is apparently out-of-date.  Bruce's
Subversion repository contains an updated wrapper
(libperlxray/Ifeffit) that fixes the problem, but hasn't been released
as a source tarball yet - there are Subversion installation
instructions at
http://cars9.uchicago.edu/iffwiki/BruceRavel/EvolvingSoftware.
Installation of the libperlxray/Ifeffit wrapper should be enough - you
can use the release versions of the rest of Horae, but you may need
Ifeffit 1.2.10a rather than 1.2.11b (more on this in another post).

Anyway thanks to Bruce for figuring it out (and I hope my description
isn't too inaccurate!)

Gareth