[Ifeffit] What confidence limit is implied in the error bars for least-squares fitting in Athena

Wayne Lukens wwlukens at lbl.gov
Thu Oct 2 17:59:02 CDT 2008

Hi Andrew,

If your issue is whether or not a phase with a amplitude of
0.049(3) is actually present in your sample, then you want to
use an F-test.  The probability of of the F-distribution is
the probability that the improvement in the fit (due in this
case to adding a component with an amplitude of 0.049) could
be due to random error.  The general rule of thumb is that if
the probability is less than 0.05, than improvement in the
fit is significant, and the component can be considered to be
observed.

Unlike the standard deviations of the fitting parameters, the F-test
does not depend on having an accurate description of the uncertainty
of the data.

Sincerely,

Wayne