[Ifeffit] What confidence limit is implied in the error bars for least-squares fitting in Athena

Andrew acampo2 at lsu.edu
Thu Oct 2 15:49:27 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm fitting data with the least-squares method in Athena and am not sure
what the error bars correspond to. What I mean, are these 95% confidence
limits, or is it some other statistical way for error analysis?  If Athena
says the weight of one phase is 0.049 (0.003), what confidence are in the
0.003 error bar reported by Athena?

(I have done a PCA of the XANES, and XRDs of the samples and am pretty
confident in the phases that I'm fitting).

I greatly appreciate the help!

Andrew Campos