[Ifeffit] Ifeffit updater and internet proxies

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Oct 1 08:59:29 CDT 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008 14:53:09 Matt Newville wrote:
> I just put up a Windows updater with new versions of Athena and
> Artemis which (should / seems to) fix the "Athena is stuck" problems
> seen be various people.  Details on what else changed are below.
>
> All windows users with Ifeffit 1.2.10 and 1.2.11 should install this
> update.  If you're still using an older version, beware that this
> update will be binary incompatible with that version, and you should
> upgrade to 1.2.11 before installing this update.
>
> If you've been having troubles with Athena/Artemis "getting stuck" and
> these persist after installing this update, please let us know!!

Hi everyone,

If, at your institution, you are behind an internet proxy, you may
need to configure your computer such that the Ifeffit updater can find
the update that Matt announced last week through the proxy.

I know that some folks at Brookhaven and the NSLS have had trouble
doing so in the past (myself included).  I made a wiki page explaining
in detail how I was able to solve this problem without otherwise
harming the functionality of my computers.

  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/iffwiki/IfeffitOnWindows/WinUpdaterProxy

Everyone should update.  If you have not done so because of a proxy,
hopefully that wiki page will help.  If your proxy configuration is
different, feel free to put that information of that wiki page.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov