[Ifeffit] [PGPLOT build problem] Upgrading to ifeffit-1.2.11b on Ubuntu from source

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 17 12:30:20 CST 2008

Hi,

This is my fault... and I apologize for the sloppiness and for being
late in fixing this.   I've been mixing 'development/testing' and
'production'  versions, and haven't been very good at keeping them
cleanly separated.     I think I have this mostly under control now,
but I will have to work on a decent "test suite".

I think I found another reason to make a 1.2.11c version too, that the
mixing of "devel" and "production"
caused an experiment in how fitting was done to be the default, so
that the reported chi-square doesn't actually match the documentation
(instead of summing real and imaginary parts, it sums real and
magnitude components of the misfit, which is part of an experiment to
see how Feff8.5 worked for XAFS.  Using Magnitude as well Phase for
another way to report chi-square and misfits is potentially a useful
approach, but it's not what is documented.  Anyway, mixing devel and
production versions like this (for the past couple years, really) is
very sloppy on my part, and I apologize again.

I actually have an ubuntu box now, though I built pgplot from source,
and have never made a .deb file.
There is a new source kit at
http://cars.uchicago.edu/~ifeffit/src/ifeffit-1.2.11c.tar.gz   I'll
post this to sourceforge this afternoon, and  I'll also make a new DLL
for Windows and post all of these on the download page. I'll also make
a new updater for Windows.

--Matt