[Ifeffit] problem on opening data file

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 10 16:06:36 CST 2008

Hi Ruoshuang,

You'll almost certainly need to "comment out" the lines before the
line reading "DATA START" by putting a non-numerical character in the
first column of the data file.  The recommended comment character for
the first column of header lines is "#', but many others will work.

Without anything to go on but the data file, it's pretty much
impossible to tell in one pass where the data in this file begins.
Specifically, there are clearly lines that contain only numbers.
Ifeffit guesses that the first line containing only numbers is where
the data starts.

Athena also allows for pre-processing code to be written to
specifically handle data from certain beamlines.  How well this works
depends on the pre-processing code and the beamline (for example, if
the format changes).

Cheers,

--Matt