[Ifeffit] Problem with new ifeffit version

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Mon Nov 3 17:34:02 CST 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 18:14:20 Gudrun Bovenkamp wrote:
> I just installed the new ifeffit 1.2.11 version (including) update von
> my windows pc (OS windows xp).
> The program works fine so far, but when I want to open or save a file,
> project or xmu the program just ends (without any error message). The
> only way to use data is by loading recent files.
> Am I the only one with this problem?

Hi Lisa,

"the program"?  Do you mean Athena?

I only have one idea.  In the path to the file you are attempting to
save, do you have any diacritic marks?  That is, do any of the folders
or files have an eszet, a c with a cedilla, a vowel with an accent, or
any such?  If so, could you try moving the file to a folder whose path
only uses characters that get used in English.  I thought I had fixed
that problem in the most recent release, but I saw one example of it
failing on a Portuguese vowel with a tilde a couple weeks ago.

If that is not the issue, could you do the following:

  1. Open a DOS command window.

  2. cd to C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\bin . (If you installed the
     software somewhere other than C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\ then cd
     to that location

  3. execute the runner by typing "runner" at the DOS prompt and
     select Athena (or whatever program is causing the problem)

  4. do whatever it is that causes Athena (or whatever) to fail

  5. let us know what the error messages in the command window say

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov