[Ifeffit] IXAFS for Mac OSX - Problem launching Artemis

Dean Hesterberg sscdlh at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri May 23 14:50:44 CDT 2008

Hello,

For months, I have been happily using IXAFS for Mac OSX - excellent
program!  I am now having problems launching Artemis.  An Aquaterm
graphics window opens, but the actual Artemis program does not.  If I
keep trying, periodically Artemis appears as if it will launch, but
the message about cleaning up extra sessions comes  up, and whether I
"clean up" or "keep" the sessions and/or close the Aquaterm windows
beforehand, the Artemis program quits without opening.

The only unusual action today was that I was working with several
Athena windows opened at once, but had quit all Athena sessions
before trying to launch Artemis.  I tried downloading and re-
installing "X11 1.1.3 - XFree86 4.4.0"  from http://mrcat.iit.edu,
restarted the computer, etc., but to no avail.  Athena seems to run
fine.  Even after re-installing and restarting, I sometimes receive
the multiple sessions cleanup message, so perhaps I need to delete
certain files before cleanly re-installing IXAFS.  I did remove
(trashed) IXAFS from the Applications folder before re-installing.

I'm using a Mac Pro Dual Core Intel with
Mac OSX version 10.4.11
X11 version 1.1.3

I appreciate any suggestions for fixing this problem, or a lead to a

Dean

DEAN HESTERBERG
Professor
Dept. of Soil Science
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Box 7619
3235 Williams Hall
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7619