[Ifeffit] Compiling Feff 8.4 on Linux

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 4 10:31:47 CST 2008

Hi Adam,

I have a system with gfortran 4.1.1.20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-51), so
very close to yours, and see the same problem (even the same line
number for feff84.f).

I think the main issue is not the arithmetic ifs (though they generate
piles of warnings).  I think the real issue is that there is
uninitialized data for the 'kappa' array when writing pot.bin.

I'm not sure what the best solution is... Feff is full of
uninitialized data and undocumented arrays and code.  Doing any real
work on the single-source-code-file is basically impossible, and I've
long ago given up trying to actually understand Feff8.

Strangely, compiling feff84.f with g77 from gcc 3.2.3 on the same
system seems to work fine.

Hope that helps,

--Matt