[Ifeffit] Installation of the last versions on XP

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 21 22:44:44 CDT 2008

 Hi Kleper,

That's hard for me to read, but it seems to say (I'm copying this by
eye from the image you posted):

Your version of IFEFFIT is up to date!

Couldn't read bitmap file "C:\......\Temp\pdk-Familia
Rocha-1604\Tk/arraowdownwin.xbm": no such file or directory. ......

Except that "pdk-Familia Rocha-1604" contains some odd-looking
non-ASCII characters.

Athena.exe  unpacks a bunch of perl-needed files into temporary files
named 'pdk-USERNAME-number' under a Temporary directory, and then need
to be able to read these files.

Which leads to my guess as to the problem: that it's an issue with
perlApp not being able to read files/directories with unicode in their
name.  I don't know what will and won't work here (and, really my
sincere apologize for being ASCII-centrric), but we've seen that
before.  Any chance of testing this with a different user account?
There might be a way around this from our end (that is perlApp seems
to use the system defined Temporary Directory and Username to make the
temporary location for unpacking: perhaps Bruce and I can check for
and avoid such trouble??? ), but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Also, in the future, could you please post error messages in text, not
as a bitmap, and not as a screenshot of the entire window?  From the
command prompt, you can mark and copy text, then paste into notepad
and save as plain text.  Really, this is way better for all of us.

Hope that helps,

--Matt