[Ifeffit] Linear Combination Fitting - More Questions

Dean Hesterberg sscdlh at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 17 08:40:23 CDT 2008

Lisa,

It can be difficult if not misleading to apply linear combination
fitting of a large number of standards to an XAS data set.  My advice
is to augment LCF with independent data that provides support for
likely chemical species in your sample.  Use this supporting
information to select appropriate standards up front, and to judge
the likelihood of a given fit.

For example, total elemental analysis of your sample in combination
with chemical stoichiometry and mass balance can indicate whether it
is possible to have a given proportion of a particular chemical
species in your sample.  For example, if your sample contains only
enough Fe to yield 20% of a given Fe-oxide mineral, then an LCF fit
giving 60% of that mineral is not accurate, even if the fit is
exceptionally better than other fits based on a goodness-of-fit
parameter.

Additionally, you might try fitting across different energy ranges of
your spectrum to isolate characteristic features of particular
standards to better judge the most suitable standards.

Dean

DEAN HESTERBERG
Professor
Dept. of Soil Science
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Box 7619
3235 Williams Hall
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7619