[Ifeffit] polarization

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Jul 15 08:45:46 CDT 2008

> In this reference authors uses a feff7 Can I use feff6 or I need a feef
> recent version ?

Current versions of Ifeffit ship with a version of Feff6 integrated
into the package.  Ifeffit, thus Artemis and SixPack also, can use any
version of Feff to provide theory for EXAFS analysis.

In my experience, Feff6 is usually just fine for EXAFS analysis.  You
will, of course, need Feff8 to do XANES calculations and other inner
shell spectroscopy simulations.

> There is a manual that explain how to write a feffit.inp file?

There is.  How did we ever find anything before Google?

You might consider using either Artemis or SixPack.  Most people just
starting out find that it is easier to get started using one of the
graphical interfaces.  That said, you can find the feffit program
documentation on Matt's web site and some of my older educational
materials were written prior to Artemis.

This page helps: http://xafs.org/Tutorials

> How I can include the polarization dependence on my calculation?

How polarization works in Feff is unchanged since Feff6.  This is from
the feff8 document, but it applies just as well to feff6 and feff7:

  http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/feff/wiki/index.php?title=POLARIZATION
  http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/feff/wiki/index.php?title=ELLIPTICITY

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov