[Ifeffit] Athena: k-weight=3 in background removal problem

Joseph Washington breaditor2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 22:49:03 CDT 2008

Greetings all,
I am an APS user and a graduate of XAFS Summer School - class of 2007 :)
   We have been doing EXAFS analysis on Ge[2]Sb[2]Te[x] thin films. I
noticed that at the Ge edge in particular, the k-weight value used in
the background removal cannot equal 3, or else the background function
no longer follows the data and oscillates wildly and/or it shoots up at
the edge energy dominating the plot window. Values of 1 and 2 work fine.
Even more puzzling is that this problem is inherent for the Ge edge of
data taken over numerous runs, and for various samples (GST-224,
GST-225, 226, 227).

Now if it is that the Ge-edge data is noisier than our Sb and Te edge
data at higher k (I don't think this has been true), then in my opinion
we should notice this at the Sb and Te edge data. So why the Ge-edge
data? I want to point out that there are options that we have used,
namely simply using a k-weight of 2, or specifying a spline clamp at
high k that is "slight" or "weak". I just would like to know what lies
at the root of this problem.

If further information is required, I would be happy to send you one of
my project files showing some original scans collected for the Ge edge,
as well as the merged Ge edge file.

Thank you very much,

--
Joseph Washington