[Ifeffit] sorting files in Athena

Ravel, Bruce bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Feb 21 20:23:01 CST 2008

> Hi,
> I can not find one small thing - sorting files in Athena - it makes me
> crazy ;)
> I work with QEXAFS data  - usualy few tens of files or even more. Files
> are named in such way: "file_name"rXX.fio where XX is next file number
> (1, 2, 3, ... ,10, 11, 12, ... , 20, 21, etc.).
> I use Iffefit under Win XP, and every time when I open (import) more
> files I have them in such order: 1, 11, 12, 13, ... , 19, 2, 20, 21, 22,
> ... , 29, 3, 30, 31 ... etc.
> So, my question is if there is some "hidden" way to sort automatically
> files during importing or in the menue. Do you know something about? Is
> the sorting lexigraphical (from Windows)?

The file selection dialog sorts alphabetically.

There is no quick-n-easy way to resort the data groups once in
Athena.  The best solution would be to name the files in a way that
alphabetical sorting will be the same as time sorting.  The way to do
that will be to name the first file "f01.fio" rather than "r1.fio".

> another problem which apears, is the limitation of the memmory...

That is a well known, well discussed problem.  Ifeffit is written in
fortran.  Fortran does not have dynamic memory allocation.  The only
practical solution is tonot read so many data files in at a time.

I wish it were different, but it's not.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at bnl.gov

 Synchrotron Methods Group at Brookhaven National Laboratory

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel