[Ifeffit] How to identify N and O atoms in the first coordinate

mzhu at udel.edu mzhu at udel.edu
Fri Dec 19 17:39:24 CST 2008

Hello Anatoly,
  Thanks for your reply.

  I could not do it as the literature you mentioned since I do not have detailed structural information as they do. I am wondering if the following method can be justified to indentify nitrogen atoms:

  1) EXAFS data of 7 nickel oxygen-coordinated organic and inorganic complexes in which nickel only coordinates to oxygen atoms from carboxyl group, phosphoryl group and water molecules.

  2) Fourier back transformation of the peak from 1-2 aus. in R+ delta-R space. This R range must cover the scattering peaks from both nitrogen and oxygen. Then chi
functions of these complexes are obtained.

  3) A principal component anlaysis (PCA) was performed over the oxygen-coordinated dataset of the chi functions obtained in the step (2). PCA analysis indicated two major components based on the IND values.

  4)Then chi functions of two nitrogen-coordinated nickel complexes was obtained using the same method as step 2). It is certain that nitrogen atoms are coordinated to the
nickel in the first shell in addition to oxygen atoms.

  5) A target transformaiton of the chi function of two nitrogen-coordinated nickel complexes using oxygen-coordianted dataset resulted in the SPOIL values close to 5.
Addition of one of the two complexes to the group of nickel complexes in PCA, PCA resulted in 3 components. These indicate that they have different coordination environment to the oxygen-coordinated nickel complexes. It is expected because they have nitrogen in the first shell.

  6) A target transformation conducted on a sample of nickel-sorbed biofilm (back fourier transformed chi function in 1-2 aus.) resulted in the value close to 5. It means that the sample can not be represented by the nickel organic group, either.

   Since the first shell only can have two types of atoms, oxgen and nitrogen. If the nickel sorbed on biofilm can not be represented by the nickel oxygen-coordinated organic group which only has oxygen in the frist shell, it must have nitrogen atoms in the first shell. Also, linear square fitting of the Ni_biofilm with the nitrogen-coordinated complexes resulted in the better goodness than other oxygen-coordinated complexes. Thus, the nitrogen must exist in the first shell of Ni_biofilm sample.

   Do you think this method is reasonable?

Best wishes,

Mengqiang Zhu

Mengqiang Zhu