[Ifeffit] Problems with feff and crystallographic data (Now with bug report)

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Fri Dec 19 07:28:11 CST 2008

Hi Hashem:

As Gregory mentions below.  The problem is partial occupancies.  In
diffraction, it is OK to put two different atom species in the same
(or close) crystallographic position.  This makes no sense in analyzing
EXAFS because you cannot calculate scattering from a fractional atom.

For EXAFS, you need to decide what the specific local environment of your
target atom will be.  If you have two different kinds of environments,
then you have to do two (or many more) separate FEFF calculations and then
fit to both of them simultaneously to get the effect of partial occupancy.

Cheers,

Carlo