[Ifeffit] Comparison of "amp" between Feff8.40 and feff6 - Curved waves or Plane waves?

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:42:56 CDT 2008

Ying and Bruce,

Some versions of FEFF, at least, do allow amps above 100. They assign
100 to the first path, and then scale from there. The nearest neighbor
path in your list is a single oxygen. I didn't run atoms on your input
file, but I bet your path 14 is some combination of high degeneracy,
focused, and involving the lead. Despite being further, it is more
prominent, and thus correctly assigned a higher amp.

It may be that this is true for only some versions of FEFF. I've
certainly seen it frequently, although I haven't paid attention to
whether it's version or even platform dependent.

Personally, despite being documented, I would describe the behavior
that Bruce describes, where the meaning of amp gets rescaled if a more
prominent path is encountered, as a "known bug," while the behavior
where amps greater than 100 assigned as more ideal. In any case, this
is just cosmetic; it shouldn't affect the feff path itself.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College