[Ifeffit] charge transfer by SCF in FEFF8 and simulation for charge disproportionation

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Thu Aug 28 15:35:42 CDT 2008

Hi Ying,

I think maybe the problem isn't so much with FEFF as with a century of
conventions in chemistry.

Until fairly recently, no one really knew where electrons were sitting
in real materials. Chemistry "works" pretty well if you do things like
assign formal oxidation states and apply octet rules. But as a
physicist, you know that the actual wave functions aren't going to be
that simplistic.

As both theory and experiment advanced, it became very clear that even
the most stereotypically ionic substances don't actually consist of
isolated ions interacting with their classically assigned charges. I
guess you can say that implies a partially covalent character, but
electrons are indistinguishable, so there aren't really individual
"pairs" of electrons in covalent bonds either. The whole solid is
actually a great big messy quantum mechanical entity.

That does not mean that models like formal oxidation state, chemical
bonds, and the like aren't extremely useful. Personally, I consider
myself a chemical physicist, not a solid state physicist, and I much
prefer the bonding description to, for example, a model based on
"bands" for understanding in my own head what is happening.

But the bottom line, to me, is that you aren't going to find those 1.7
electrons that you think should be involved in the bonding somehow in
the FEFF SCF calculation, nor do they really belong. FEFF, as I
understand it, doesn't have interactions between electrons in
different atoms at all (bonding and antibonding orbitals, if you like
that kind of description), and thus only needs to know the net charge
transfer. "Covalent bonds" have no meaning in FEFF.

OK, FEFF experts, how'd I do? :)

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College