[Ifeffit] LDOS calculations

prange prange at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 30 12:13:12 CDT 2008

Rajdeep,

One should be able to achieve reasonable agreement between the
electronic structure calculated with VASP and FEFF. Here are a couple
of things you might consider to improve agreement.

1) Do the FEFF calculation with NOHOLE. This should give ground-state
LDA DOS that is comparable to standard DFT codes. You can compare
ldos00.dat and ldos02.dat to see the effect of the hole.

2) Make sure you have aligned the energy grids appropriately. The 0
of the FEFF energy grid is the vacuum energy; the Fermi level is
reported in the header of ldsoNN.dat -- for an insulator this should
be close to a dip in the total DOS which is the gap. Using a larger
cluster (and rfms) in the FEFF cluster will make the gap more
defined. Once the gaps are aligned, other features should also match.

3) Broaden the DOS from VASP. This will make comparison much easier.

4) Make sure you are comparing the total DOS (i.e. the sum of
ldos01.dat+2*ldos02.dat) in the same units. The FEFF DOS is in states/
eV/site, so you will need to account for the number of atoms of each
species in the unit cell and perhaps convert from eV to hartrees.

Good luck,

Micah Prange