[Ifeffit] Using the amplitude reduction factor as alinearcombination fitting parameter

Bruggeman Christophe cbruggem at sckcen.be
Wed Apr 30 01:45:14 CDT 2008

XAFS fitting is sometimes a "puzzling world", but here's some more
clarification :-)

I indeed collected a series of spectra on FeS2, with varying conditions
such as equilibration time and geochemical parameters. The general
outlook of all these spectra are relatively similar, but some clear
differences can be noticed from both the XANES and EXAFS patterns and
the FTs. More precisely, based on these differences the samples can be
"categorised" from "more oxidised U" to "more reduced U", but no pure
end member is present anywhere in the samples. So, a first PCA was
performed on the samples themselves, taking the "most oxidised" and
"most reduced" as end member, and trying if the other samples could be
reproduced as a linear combination of these two end members. This proved
to be possible.

Now for standards: I collected some scans of U standards, but it is very
difficult to have a standard which represents a pure end member in the
FeS2 samples. For example, my guess is that the "reduced U" resembles
uraninite, but given the fact that with such heterogeneous reduction on
FeS2 surface, it is more likely that UO2 nanocolloids are formed, a
crystalline uraninite standard can not be used as pure end member.

Therefore, what I would like to do, is reproduce the FTs and EXAFS
spectra, starting from U standards, but adapting them (e.g. playing with
Debye-Waller factors), so that I would get a pure end member for the
FeS2 samples, then fix the parameters, and use the amplitude reduction
factor as a sort of linear combination fitting parameter to get an idea
of the amount of this pure end member in my samples.

Hopefully, this sheds some more light on the matter,
Thanks already for your interest,

Christophe