[Ifeffit] Dodgy Edge Steps

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Mon Apr 28 12:45:48 CDT 2008

Hi Lachlan,

The reason that you want to keep the total absorption less than 3 is because the number of transmitted x-rays becomes small.  I=I0 exp(-mu x).  So for mu x =3 the number of transmitted x-rays are 5% of the incident x-ray intensity.  If you have a lot of x-rays then you can measure spectra with greater total absorption.  At most second generation sources we have around 10^6 x-rays /second.  That means that only 5 x10^4 x-rays are measured in It for a sample that has a total absorption of 3.  Since the statistical noise goes like the square root of N, you will have 5% noise by measuring only 1 second per point, so you will have to measure about 25 sec per point to get usable EXAFS data.  As the signal in It becomes smaller, you will find that the oscillatory part of the absorption spectra becomes damped because you can not accurately measure the fluctuations in the transmitted signal.

If you have a lot of x-rays and the total absorption is dominated by the element that you measured, your data might be salvageable.  Look for a dampening affect.  If you see that when comparing to your other data then you are in trouble.  I don't know how to reliably fix it.  You can use Hephaestus to calculate the number of x-rays per second in It from the voltage and detector gain.

Cheers,

Shelly