[Ifeffit] Artemis fitting using FEFF paths plus experimentalreferences

Wayne Lukens wwlukens at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 25 11:07:21 CDT 2007

Hi Matthew,

It sounds like you have a problem caused by the finite size of the
nanoparticles, which results in lower than expected amplitude of
the shells in comparison to the amplitude of the shells generated
from the xtal structures of maghemite and magnetite.  If this is
the case and you have a good idea how large the nanoparticles are,
you can use Scott Calvin's formula for the amplitude of a scattering
shell in a nanoparticle:

APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 87 (23): Art. No. 233102 DEC 5 2005.

This works very well for metallic nanoparticles, but I have never
tried it on oxide nanoparticles.

Maybe you could try using Scott's formula for the amplitudes and the
distances from the crystal structures.  If I recall correctly, Scott
uses 3 Debye-Waller parameters as variables: one each for the first
two shells and one for all other shells.

The other possibility is to fit the XANES and low k portion of the
EXAFS, but I assume that you have already tried that.

Sincerely,

Wayne