[Ifeffit] Linear Combination Fitting in Athena-

scalvin at slc.edu scalvin at slc.edu
Sun Oct 14 17:31:59 CDT 2007

Hi Skya,

I'm not convinced there's anything strange about this. You're only
reporting the best fit in each case. Presumably the fit series using at
most 4 standards also generates the result of standard 1, 2, and 3 being a
possibility, and generates the same statistical measures of fit as in the
3 standard case.

The moral is that the BEST fit out of linear combinations is not all that
meaningful if there are multiple other fits of similar statistical
quality. Linear combination fitting can be used to narrow down the
possibilities, but as always shouldn't be used as a "black box."

(Of course, if one of the 4-standard fits has much better statistical
quality than any of the 3-standard fits, that might suggests that there
really ARE 4 components in the sample!)

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College