[Ifeffit] (no subject)

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Tue Nov 27 08:33:20 CST 2007

Hi Bindu:

I am presuming that you mean that you want to tune the bond angle of the
MS paths in your EXAFS fitting but, as Bruce notes, I might be wrong.

The bond angles for the multiple scattering paths are simply calculated
from the positions of the atoms around the central atom in the FEFF input
file.  In the refinement process used by Ifeffit, the overall path length
is slightly changed to fit the experimental data.  This implies
that a 3-Dimensional geometry has been reduced to a 1-Dimensional
fitting and all angular information is locked into the initial
FEFF calculation.  Thus you can only tune angles by starting with a
different local arrangement of atoms around the central atoms.

To my knowledge, there is no automatic way of doing this but there are
manual ways of approaching the problem depending on the kind of system you
are studying.  It would be helpful to have more information.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics