[Ifeffit] Ifeffit development tools?

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 21 12:38:54 CST 2007

Hi Folks,

I set up an ifeffit-devel mailing list:

Let's try to move development and programming/scripting discussions
there.

On Nov 21, 2007 11:48 AM, Webb, Adam <adamwebb at win.desy.de> wrote:

> Out of curiosity. Would demeter be able to 'speak' TDL? Or would TDL
> call demeter? I am uncertain what the status is of things like pyperl or
> inline::python. These were supposed to allow python and perl to talk to
> each other. .Net/Mono is advertised to do such things but I don't know
> if anyone wants to go it that direction.

I've been looking into using xml-rpc (aka SOAP).  The idea there is for a
"server" to expose data and functions to "clients" which nicely decouples
which languages are used for client and server, and even which computer
client and server are on (as long as an http connection can be established).
This means that any library that is intended to be called needs to be
wrapped as an xml-rpc server:  This looks very easy to do, but is slightly
more complicated than our current model (call a dll).

For TDL, the intention is to be able to write "plug in modules" that can be
loaded at runtime.  Currently, these need to be Python or C/Fortran modules.
I'm not sure how easy it would be to turn Demeter into such a module that
didn't end up being an appreciable rewrite.

To be honest, I think we're still learning what is needed and how to do it.