[Ifeffit] Windows Vista

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Nov 7 07:40:52 CST 2007

On Wednesday 07 November 2007 04:22:23 snnn01ag at uniba.it wrote:
> Hi,
> I want only to inform Bruce and all the ifeffit´s users that I
> downloaded the ifeffit 1.2.10 version on my new computer that uses
> Window Vista software! After trying several times to load it from your
> site (and this is a problem of Vista!), now I have my athena, artemis
> and hephaestus. I must admit the program works a quite good. Ok,
> somethimes it crashes by itself, but you have only to close and reopen
> it (so, save all every 5 minutes).
> I hope no other problems emerge!

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the information.

In my (very limited) experience, it helps to install Ifeffit into your
personal space rather that its default location.  That way you do not
need admin priviledge to run it.

I am unaware of a new problem resulting in such frequent crashes.  It
seems highly likely that you are running into this well-known issue:

   http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/windows_crash.html

If so, the work-around is quite simple ;-)

There is some more information about installing our software on Vista
and other operating systems at

   http://cars9.uchicago.edu/iffwiki/FAQ/Installing_Ifeffit

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at bnl.gov