[Ifeffit] white line intensity v. edge position in determiningoxidation state of Re

Sven L.M. Schroeder sven.schroeder at gnomikos.com
Mon May 21 17:31:42 CDT 2007

Edward

Another method to get information on oxidation states from near-edges was
used relatively commonly in the 1980s and early 1990s, but has gone out of
fashion since (can someone tell me why? Is the underlying physics flawed?).

You determine the ionisation potential (IP) by fitting the arctan step
background function simultaneously with Gauss/Lorentz lines for all the
near-edge resonances. The inflection point of the arctan corresponds to the
IP. Variations in the IP can be interpreted using the same considerations as
for binding energy shifts in XPS...

For example, for Au there is an almost perfectly linear relationship between
IP and oxidation state, from Au(-1) via Au(0) and Au(+1) to Au(+3) ! In this
case the correlation with oxidation state is a lot stronger than for white
line intensities and/or the now commonly used 'edge inflection points'...

Sven

--
Sven L.M. Schroeder (mailto:s.schroeder at manchester.ac.uk)

School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science (CEAS) & School of
Chemistry The University of Manchester PO Box 88 Sackville Street Manchester
M60 1QD United Kingdom

http://www.slmslab.info

Tel +44 (161) 306 4502
Lab +44 (161) 306 4486
Fax +44 (161) 306 4399

Offices:
School of CEAS:  Room C17 (Jackson's Mill) School of Chemistry: Room E3
(Faraday Undergraduate Block)

DISCLAIMER
The views expressed within this message are those of the sender, not those
of The University of Manchester or one of its Departments. While all emails
and attachments are scanned for viruses before sending, we cannot accept any
responsibility for viruses, so please scan all emails and attachments. This
email is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender and delete this email immediately.

END OF MESSAGE