[Ifeffit] How to select important MS paths in wurtzite?

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Tue May 15 10:35:10 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Mauro Rovezzi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Do you know if in literature there are studies on the important multiple
> scattering (MS) paths in fitting wurtzite XAFS spectra? I mean which are
> the important paths to properly fit a wurtzite structure up to 6 A in a
> elegant way (<20 paths)?
>
> I'm asking this question thinking at old works by Filipponi et al. on
> the fcc and bcc structures explaining very well the importance of some
> specific triangular and collinear paths to fit the EXAFS spectrum...
>
> Well, this was my coffee-break question :)

OK, let me make a cup of coffee for myself ....

Mmmmmm ... espresso!  Now I'm ready to offer an answer.

I would say that one of the best features of Artemis is that it makes
it easy to examine the MS paths.  You don't have to place faith in the
literature -- you can go look at the paths themselves.

It is very easy to import data and import a large number of paths.
Then you can make useful, interesting plots with relatively little
effort.  You don't even have to do a fit to get a sense of which paths
are big and which are small.

Once you start actually doing some fits, it fairly simple to throw
paths in the mix, take paths out, and tweak the fitting model.  Again,
you don't have to take on faith which paths are important.  You can
evaluate fits with and without certain paths and decide for yourself
which ones are important.

There is a rule of thumb that you need the SS, the (nearly) collinear
MS, and the short triangles.  In my experience, that rule of thumb is
surprisingly effective.

Shelly uses an interesting approach, which is described on page 25 of
this PDF file:

http://xafs.org/Tutorials?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Basics_of_XAFS_analysis.pdf

It involves filtering paths on the basis of Feff's approximation of
the amplitude, another technique that is surprisingly effective.

HTH,

 Molecular Environmental Science Group, Building 203, Room E-165
 MRCAT, Sector 10, Advanced Photon Source, Building 433, Room B007

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel
 EXAFS software: http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/