[Ifeffit] care and feeding of Athena

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Wed May 9 11:11:15 CDT 2007

> So what do you all think?  Is it better to impose the somewhat
> arbitrary limit that Scott suggests in hopes that it will work as
> intended most of the time?  Or is it better to leave things as they
> are, allowing you to import more data but running the risk of
> corrupting Ifeffit's memory management?

Hi Bruce,

I think that there should be a limit that is by default turned on and
set to a value of something like 50 groups.  This feature should be
configurable so that the user, under a warning, can turn it off or
change the group limit.
Easy and configurable = plus 2cents.

It occurs to me that a better way would be for Ifeffit (or Athena) to
keep track of how much memory swapping is going on.  Once it reaches
some large but safe value, a warning is sent to the user. In this
scenario the deleting and reading in a bunch of new groups would also
trigger the warning.  This seems like it would be hard to implement =
negative 2cents.

I'm even.

Shelly