[Ifeffit] care and feeding of Athena

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed May 9 09:48:32 CDT 2007

Hi Bruce, All,

These issues are almost certainly due to some bug in Ifeffit that gets
triggered with large data sets.  As Bruce mentioned, Ifeffit
internally keeps track of arrays and groups using a built-in memory
cache.  By trying to write portable Fortran, this was more-or-less a
requirement (at least, it was several years ago when Ifeffit was first
being written).

I have a few tests for moving arrays around that pass for me without
any trouble, but there are definitely occasional problems with "large
sets of data" -- I've seen these myself.    Unfortunately, I don't
have a good simple test case that always causes a problem.   If you
have a project file that is "acting weird"  and data is clearly being
corrupted, please send it to me.