[Ifeffit] How to use "OVERLAP" card?

Anatoly Frenkel frenkel at bnl.gov
Tue May 8 21:23:00 CDT 2007

Hi,

Below is an old but working example. See the comment about the units (Bohr's
units in SS card v. Angstrom in Overlap card) - it used to be a bug in
FEFF6 - and it may still be unless Bruce/Matt changed the code in the recent
distribution. If rescaling the distances in your SS card does not help, swap
the SS and the OVERLAP cards (in my example SS preceeds OVERLAP - may be it
matters).

Let me know if it helped,

Anatoly

TITLE   Cu metal in aqueous solution
 TITLE   Structure is from Beagley et al, J. Phys.: Cond. Matt. 1, 2395
(1989)
 TITLE   Distance units are in Angstroms in OVERLAP cards
 TITLE   Distance units are in Angstroms/0.529177249 in SS cards

 HOLE 1   1.0     Cu K edge  (  8.979 keV), s0^2=1.0

 *         mphase,mpath,mfeff,mchi
 CONTROL   1      1     1     1
 PRINT     1      0     0     0

 POTENTIALS
 *   ipot   z  label
       0   29   Cu
       1   8    O
       2   8    O
       3   1    H
       4   8    O

 SS  1  1  4   3.760555
 SS  2  2  2   4.327473
 SS  3  4  11  7.464418

* note that the distances above correspond to the three shells:
*1.99, 2.29 and 3.95 A. However, because of the bug in FEFF6,
*these distances should are used in FEFF6 in the units of Bohr's radius.
*Therefore, for the program to work properly, you should divide the true
*shell distance by a0 = 0.529177249 to enter in SS cards, as in the example
above
*The overlap distances below stay in Angstroms, as they should.

 OVERLAP 0
* Cu - O_eq
  1  4  1.99
* Cu - O_ax