[Ifeffit] Coordination of ball-milled alloys

Anatoly Frenkel frenkel at bnl.gov
Fri May 4 13:31:57 CDT 2007

Have you measured Fe edge in this alloy, and if yes, have you tried to fit
the data measured from both Fe and Cr edges simultaneously? I would do it
first, without varying the mean free path. It will definitely reduce
correlations between N and ss2, which seems to be a problem here. Whether or
not it works, your method of imposing a lower bound for the EXAFS DWF using
a twice the XRD DWF is a great idea.

What is also missing in your story is the knowledge of the alloy structure
and homogeneity - are these random, substitutional alloys at this
concentration? A strongly distorted hcp (non closed packed) metal will have
a splite of 6 and 6 neighbors in the first shell - and you may not get the
coordination number right if you model it as a single shell of 12 neighbors.
Just a food for thought.

Anatoly