[Ifeffit] large Eo's and neg. D-W factors

Scott Calvin scalvin at slc.edu
Wed May 2 11:02:31 CDT 2007

Hi Rich,

It depends on the information you want out. Here's where it's good to
think about correlated effects. Sigma2's affect primarily the
amplitude. They therefore correlate highly with coordination number,
S02, normalization, sample quality (e.g. variable thickness in
transmission; self-absorption in fluorescence), beamline effects
(e.g. harmonics), and the like.

Other variables are primarily a question of phase: E0, delr, and the
third cumulant, to name some of the more important ones.

Of course, some factors, such as the elemental identity of the
scattering atom or the fraction of various phases that are present,
affect both amplitude and phase.

If you're interested in knowing about the phase variables, then the
amplitude variables are less crucial. A slightly wonky value can come
from something else being slightly wonky; e.g. normalization. That's
not ideal, and should make you nervous enough to poke at it a bit
(for example, go back and look carefully at the normalization in
Athena). But it's not nearly as serious as if you are interested in
an amplitude variable. For example, if you're trying to fit
coordination numbers, then a weird sigma2 is a big big red flag.

Finally, this is the kind of place where analyzing a standard of
known structure is immensely helpful. Likewise, a temperature series
can be very helpful for sorting out some of the correlated variables.

Hope that helps.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College