[Ifeffit] DWF's for amorphous InP

Claudia Schnohr css109 at rsphy1.anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 29 20:50:50 CDT 2007

Hey Bruce,

thanks a lot for your e-mail. The correlation between the coordination
numbers and the DWF’s is exactly the problem. It is made worse by the
overlap of the two peaks (In-P and In-In), allowing less free parameters
for the fit to be physically reasonable. I was probably not specific
enough with my question (apologies for that) so here some more
information:

Crystalline InP has a zinc blende structure with In tetrahedrally bonded
to four P atoms and vice versa. However, this does not apply for the
amorphous phase. The amorphous structure of compound semiconductors such
as InP is characterized by structural as well as chemical disorder, i.e.
the presence of “wrong” homopolar (In-In) bonds. The information we like
to get from the EXAFS measurements (taken at the In K-edge) of the
amorphous system are:

(1) The total coordination number (though the total coordination number is
around four, it is not yet clear whether it is exactly four, slightly over
or slightly under coordinated.)

(2) The percentage of the wrong (In-In) bonds. Due to the correlation
between coordination number and DWF, varying ratios of the In-In and In-P
DWS’s give varying In-In percentages even with the total coordination
number being the same. Thus we need to apply constraints (as you said)

We think that restraining the DWF’s might be a good approach.
Unfortunately, the crystalline and amorphous systems do not have similar
DWF’s due to the large amount of disorder in the amorphous phase. From
previous studies it is known, that the DWF of an amorphous semiconductor
is roughly (!) twice the DWF of the crystalline phase. Hence, fixing the
In-P DWF to twice the crystalline value (from a standard we also measured)
would be a a first approach. My question is whether there maybe is a
better way of relating/restraining the DWFs, as for example suggested by
Crozier, Rehr and Ingalls (X-ray Absorption, Koningsberger and Prins,
Wiley & Sons, 1988). They derive a formula for the DWF that contains the
reduced mass and an integral over the projected density of states. If one
could make a reasonable assumption about the integral (which is the
problem) it would be possible to correlate the two DWF’s. Or maybe there
is another way to make an educated guess (by computing with FEFF or so).

Hope that’s a bit more clear now.

Many thanks, Claudia