[Ifeffit] Ifeffit Digest, Vol 49, Issue 20

Scott Calvin scalvin at slc.edu
Thu Mar 29 17:50:21 CDT 2007

Hi Ricardo,

I'll add one thing to Bruce's comment:

Do you care what the sigma^2 is? I mean, other than to hope it's
"good," is it part of the information you want to know about your sample?

If it's not, and if the uncertainties and correlations reported by
Artemis suggest that the best fit is simply finding a value of S02
and sigma2 that are both too low, and if the parameters you are
interested in do no correlate strongly to S02 or sigma2, then it's
not a particularly serious problem. You could just set S02 to the
value found for a standard, or something like that, and as long as
the fit is still decent in other respects, not worry about it further.

I realize I strung together 3 "if's" there, but it's still a pretty
common set of circumstances. In your case, the first "if" looks OK
from your graph--an S02 of 0.8 or so shows error bars from the three
k-weights that nearly overlap and correspond to a reasonable value of sigma2.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College