[Ifeffit] Fitting EXAFS with out any atomic coordinates?

Scott Calvin scalvin at slc.edu
Wed Mar 28 13:33:57 CDT 2007

Hi Mario,

There are a couple of different ways to approach the kind of problem
you describe, although you must be willing to guess at what the local
environment looks like.

For example, maybe the chemical composition tells you that you have
an iron oxide. At a minimum, you could use Atoms to make a crystal
structure for, say, hematite, and then only fit the nearest-neighbor
paths, perhaps with an unknown coordination number. This can give you
some information.

Or, following the same example, maybe you think your material might
be like a disordered hematite. Then you could try to fit the hematite
structure out for several shells, but with free parameters to account
for disorder (e.g. you could include vacancies).

The key questions that you should not lose track of:

--What would you like to know about your material?

--What do you think your material might be like?

I think sometimes people forget in particular about the first
question. EXAFS doesn't answer generic questions very well ("tell me
all about my sample"), but it often answers particular questions
quite effectively ("are my iron atoms bonded to oxygen, or sulfur?").
So if you know what your particular questions are you've got a good
chance of getting help using Bruce's and Matt's software.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College