[Ifeffit] N-idp

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Mon Mar 19 12:04:10 CDT 2007

Hi Shan,

The aspect you're missing is that the extra data points are not
independent. Suppose you collect data points, with good statistics
(lots of counts per point), at 8.05 and 8.10 inverse angstroms.
Actual EXAFS features don't vary a whole lot over that interval, in
general. So to a good approximation you could interpolate the values
of chi(k) at 8.06, 8.07, 8.08, and 8.09 inverse angstroms. Collecting
data at those points doesn't really tell you much you couldn't figure
out anyway. (To make it a fair comparison, consider collecting 6
seconds of data each at 8.05 and 8.10 inverse angstroms to  2 seconds
of data each at 8.05, 8.06, 8.07, 8.08, 8.09, and 8.10, so that it's
the same total time of collection.)

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College