[Ifeffit] Ifeffit on Windows Vista

rcavell at ualberta.ca rcavell at ualberta.ca
Tue Mar 6 23:38:03 CST 2007

Hello
Beware Vista. I have been informed that a major problem is that Vista
requires drivers that are very specific to it. There can be 2 problems
- the (new) machine you have (presuming it comes with Vista) may have
on-board hardware that ONLY Vista drivers can recognize in which case
(a) the software (ifeffit) will probably not be able to call them and
(b) a back step to an XP op system will create a situation in which
your XP software will not recognize the on-board hardware so that you
cannot operate at all (this means a step back is no solution) OR (2)
if you put Vista onto an older machine, the on-board components for
graphics etc may not be recognized by the new Vista drivers. One then
will descend into the driver Black Hole from which recovery may be
very time consuming!! (stick with XP). I am told that Vista drivers
are spotty. I have not ventured into Vista-land so my comments are
hearsay and recent experiences of my gung-ho colleagues makes me
reluctant to do so!! If people have solid solutions to these problems,
it would be nice to hear about them.