[Ifeffit] bond distance resolution and correlation of parameters in MS analyses?

MarkBondin mibondin at three.com.au
Wed Jun 6 07:13:03 CDT 2007

Hi, I would like general opinions of some EXAFS practioners in regards to the most widely accepted methods for bond distance resolution and correlation of parameters in both single scattering (SS) and multiple scattering (MS) EXAFS refinements and if these can be said to differ?

1)Does the equation for bond distance resolution (r = pi/2deltak) only apply to SS? I have held the opinion that this can be applied to MS analysis however I have recently been informed that this equation does not correctly describe distance resolution in MS analyses. The paper in Coord. Chem. Rev. 2005, 249, 141-160 describes this and is this concordant with the views of the wider EXAFS community?

2) What is the actual equation which defines the determinacy of a fitting procedure and does this differ between SS and MS analyses? For MS analyses there has been a recently published equation (Coord. Chem. Rev. 2005, 249, 141-160) which takes into acount the number of dimensions used in the analyses and is this only relevant to MS analyses of data? This has also been expressed in the paper by Binsted (Biochemistry. 1992, 31, 12117-12125) however a different equation has been detailed by Stern (Phys. Rev. B. 1993, 48, 9825-9827) which I have been using as a guide in my MS analyses. Is this acceptable?

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated as this relates directly to corrections suggested to be made to my PhD thesis!

Many thanks,

Mark