[Ifeffit] Debye Waller factors for Water Molecules

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Mon Jul 30 09:39:53 CDT 2007

Paul,

In addition to my previous email, before you decide whether to set and fix the Zn-O DWF or not, I suggest that you look for a spread in reported values of DWF in Zn2+ -O in aqueous solutions - most of them were done at room temperature, but to get an idea about the spread it only matters that the temperature is the same between different publications, so RT would be fine. Irit Sagi and James Penner Hahn published many papers on Zn2+ complexes, so that could give you a good starting point. If you find that the spread is significant, it is either because the amount of static disorder differs between these cases, or the Einstein model doesn't work, or both... - but it is important to know before you decide whether to keep it fixed or not in your fit.

As far as keeping things fixed. Some things, like E0 or coord. numbers may be fixed if you analyze a series of compounds where you do not expect them to change between the samples. Sometimes, DWF of a certain bond is not expected to vary between different samples especially if they are all mixtures of different complexes of the same element, with the mixing fraction varied between the samples, common in time-resolved experiments with reaction intermediates. In many cases, DWF of the same bond varies from sample to sample. It is really not possible to say what's best to do in your case without knowing much detail. However, if you don't have a room for varying this parameter independently, as I assume you don't since you have a mixed first shell, it may be a good idea to fix it to something reasonable (e.g., as discussed in previous emails) and see if you get a reasonable fit.

Anatoly